10 Oct To All Artists – 8 Philosophies for Success from Camryn Manheim
Her speech inspired artists of all kinds, so much so that an outline of her speech has been circulated online.
(I don’t know where this outline originally came from. If you know, please tell me and I’ll give proper credit.)
Camryn shares a philosophy that has enabled her to find success and happiness in her art. I hope you enjoy it:
“TO ALL ARTISTS” by Camryn Manheim
1. Don’t take “No” for an answer (know what you want, and look for another way to get it.)
2. It’s good to Have A Plan (You can only get to a destination if you have a route to follow.)
3. Dream Big, but set realist goals (Design steps toward your Big Goal with smaller ones that you can actually measure and accomplish).
4. Don’t confuse your life with your work (don’t spend all your time at it, don’t equate your successes or rejections in work with your personality , avoid being emotionally overwhelmed by your “to-do” list).
5 Pay it forward (Serve your community: “You make a living by what you get, you make a life by what you give.”)
6. Break some rules once in awhile (this might be precisely the time to do
something that’s never been done before—then you’ll stand out from the competition: but by all means, use your head!)
7. See the Big Picture: your 20’s were designed for you to struggle a little.
Some mistakes will have to be made so you’ll know what you don’t want!)
8. You ALWAYS have a choice, re. your attitude: live in a state of grace. Be optimistic, determined and forgiving.
ENGAGE IN MEANINGFUL , FULFILLING WORK: MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
YOUR GIFTS CAN CHANGE THE WAY WE LIVE: ART IS THE WAY MANKIND CONNECTS WITH ITS PAST, ITS PRESENT , AND ITS FUTURE.